A building and adjacent lot owned by the Chicago Archdiocese was converted into a convent and community center for The Circle, a chapter of the international Society of Helpers. The building was constructed in the early 1900's and needed extensive upgrades to the systems, abatement and careful renovation to preserve historic details and spaces, such as the grand marble entry and copper cornice. These apostolic nuns are commitment to being embedded in their community with the mission to look after those most in need. The community center will provide services in support of women and women's development, from education, childcare, fitness and various other activities.
The neighborhood the building is located in is classified as Chicago's most 'park poor' neighborhood with little to no public green spaces. The adjacent lot will be converted into a community garden and art space in 2015.
Size: 8500 sf